Friday, April 13, 2012

Osso Beercco


I had messed up shanks about 4 times by this point. I decided that I would not plan on eating the meat for dinner, but would just let it simmer until soft or I wanted to go to bed, whichever came first. Fortunately it finally got melty, so I'm here, announcing to the world, a better Bucco. Just make it a day or two ahead of your date, or whatever other reason you are making it.

Layers, like an ogre!
My buddy Luke at Prather Ranch Meats hooked up a teacher discount for some vitellone Ossco Bucco. Vitellone is young beef, but unlike veal, is allowed to go outside, eat grass, and so forth. 


Allow the meat to rest at room temperature for an hour. Then dust it with some corn meal or flour and salt and pepper.


Heat your pan really, really hot. Don't be afraid of the smoke, but open your window. Sear that sucker in duck fat, or in absence of duck fat, use lard, or oil and butter. 


Once you've browned the meat, set it aside and sauté some onions, carrots, and garlic. Return the meat to the pan, add some beef stock, and pour in a beer. Depending on how you want to go about braising, you can add a dark, rich beer for red wine, or a hoppy ale for white.


Let it simmer for hours.


And hours. It took 4 when I did it. Don't worry, it will melt eventually.

No photo available, but definitely top with a gremolata.

No comments:

Post a Comment